Monday, April 25, 2011

Dhonnobad Bangladesh

When I first set out on this journey, I figured the time would go by quickly. But just how fast, I wasn’t quite prepared for. Though my bags are packed and my flight departs in a couple hours, I still can’t quite grasp that I’m leaving. 

Several people back home have asked me whether I’m sad about going. The answer is, yes, I’m sad to say goodbye to the many wonderful people I’ve met, but this sadness is overshadowed by my feelings of gratitude. I am so thankful for the experiences I’ve had, the people I’ve gotten to know, and the journey that I have been through.

I believe one of the major lesson for me in all of this was discovering what I can do with a little determination (and a great network of people). At this point I’d like to say a special thank you to this network and some of the people I’ve met along the way – Mark and Andrew for being the links in the chain that connected me to Sir John Wilson School, Ann and Mike for being such welcoming and caring hosts, Sarah and the Tulips and Azmoon and the Starfish for allowing me to be part of their classes, and Morjina and Sabrina for making many of my extra adventures possible. Of course I am also grateful to all the faculty, staff, and students at SJW School for making me feel so welcome and for being such a wonderful part of time here in Bangladesh.

Another key lesson was learning that even when I find myself on the other side of the planet, not knowing anyone but a few people I’ve “met” via email, I can be fine – a great deal more than fine in fact. Knowing this now I realize what an empowering experience this has been for me.

On a slightly less serious note, I’ve also learned that power outages can become so normal that you stop reacting to them and dinner conversations carry on in complete darkness without so much as a pause, that deet mosquito repellent “melts” nail polish, that learning and using just a few words of another language can brighten a person’s day, that one can sweat from every pore on the body without having to do bikram yoga, and that contrary to what I thought when I first arrived, it is possible to sleep through the morning call to prayer. 

This country was my introduction to Asia - for that reason, and all the others I’ve mentioned, it will always have a special place in my heart. I’ll look back at the time I’ve spent here with fondness and a great big smile on my face. I leave feeling nothing but positive and excited about the future.

Dhonnobad (thank you) Bangladesh!

Sunset in the Sunderban


1 comment:

  1. Andrina - thank you so much for taking us along on your trip. We enjoyed every step along the way. We look forward to see you soon. Good-bye Bangladesh ! Love Mama

    ReplyDelete